HEALTH-RELATED QUALITY-OF-LIFE IN PATIENTS WITH ALLERGIC RHINUSITIS: A CROSS-SECTIONAL STUDY IN VIETNAM
 
More details
Hide details
1
Ho Chi Minh City 70000, Vietnam.
Online publication date: 2018-05-25
Publication date: 2018-05-25
 
Eurasian J Anal Chem 2018;13(3):emEJAC04048
 
KEYWORDS
ABSTRACT
Objective: To investigate the health-related quality of life in patients with AR within the Vietnamese context. Methods: This study was conducted in the form of a cross-sectional research approach. The inclusion criterion was set in such a way that the participants were expected to be patients aged 10 and above. also, the participants were expected to be or have experienced AR symptoms; including itchy nose, constant sneezing, rhinorrhea, and nasal congestion – for at least four days per week, extending to four or more consecutive weeks. Conducted between March and August 2018, the study relied on the RQLQ as a research instrument. Results: Out of 146 AR patients whose results were deemed significant and worth considering in the Vietnamese context, 38.0% of the responses had their results demonstrate that they exhibited a mildly affected quality of life, with the rest of the individuals (62%) found to exhibit a severely influenced quality of life. It was also evident that for patients who experienced severe intermittent AR, when P was set at P<0.05, the majority exhibited a significant reduction in their quality of life. Notably, this study did not find a statistically significant correlation between the gender of the participants and the quality of life in the Vietnamese AR patients; with P found to be P<0.4560. Conclusion: This study’s findings demonstrated that there is a significant correlation between disease severity and the quality of life in AR patients within Vietnam. In situations, where patients were reported to exhibit severe intermittent or permanent disease, the results demonstrated that they were more likely to experience poor health-related quality of life. As such, it was inferred that AR severity and its associated symptoms compromise the mental and physical well-being of the patients, hence their quality of life. The implication for Vietnam’s healthcare system is that AR poses adverse effects on the patients’ daily activities, mood, and sleep quality.
eISSN:1306-3057